Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Moroccan in Snowy Kent, Ohio.




Snowfall caused class cancellation on Feb. 13th in Kent, Ohio. So, I locked myself in my room at the University Inn. It was an opportunity for me to catch up with all the assignments I had missed. After breakfast, I sat by the window and looked outside at the white houses, the white cars, the white trees… everything was white. I thought about the weather in this part of the world. It was not only snowy but chilly as well. The only creatures that dared to go out were the squirrels. They were constantly running back and forth looking for food under the flakes of snow. For me, it was just ‘snow’ but people here certainly see different kinds of snow and have different names for it. I see one snow and they see a lot of different kinds snow. When I told them that it was cold, they usually responded that that was nothing compared to what was coming in February and March. They must have a wealth of names for cold. They must have been the ones who contributed the most synonyms of the word ‘cold’ to Thesaurus Word Dictionaries.
Thought led to thought and I started to think about how this weather has dictated and shaped people’s lives. Because of the snow and cold, very few people walk and this must have contributed to the problem of obesity. Because of the cold, people talk about the cold to start a warm conversation and so do I sometimes on the bus to the Student Center, Acme, Wal-Mart and Ravenna when I want to start a conversation to loosen my tongue and practice my English. Cold must have contributed to their sedentary, stay-at-home lifestyle. They travel less and don’t know where
Morocco is.
I also thought about the amount of energy needed to keep all the heaters running 24 hours a day in buildings, cars and buses and everywhere. How much energy is used to provide hot water to the citizens? How much energy is used to keep
electric cookers running?
I thought and thought but more often than not it was and is hard to find the right answers or imagine them…So, I quit thinking and I started my laptop to do the
assignments.

No comments: